Baby Wearing
s***@02292004.com
2003-10-25 18:18:49 UTC
Baby Wearing

Baby wearing is common in many cultures around the world. Due in part to the promotion of slings in
attachment parenting books, in stores and on the Internet, more and more American parents are
learning about baby wearing. The sling is the most practical, comfortable and versatile method of
carrying your baby. Unlike front pack type carriers and back packs, slings can be used for newborns
and toddlers alike. Slings make breastfeeding easy and discreet, and slings are much easier on the
easily wearied arms and backs of parents.
The Benefits of Babywearing
Wearing your baby helps you develop a secure mutual attachment.

Babywearing increases parental sensitivity to a baby's needs.

Babywearing simulates the sensations of pressure, motion, warmth and security of the womb.

Carrying your baby in a sling reduces her level of stress hormones.

Babywearing can greatly reduce crying and fussiness. It also helps your fussy or tired baby fall
asleep.

Babies sleep longer and more comfortably when in a sling.

Sling babies have a reduced incidence of colic and are less susceptible to vomiting and excess
spitting-up.

Toddlers who were/are carried in slings initiate separation sooner, and become more self-reliant.

Babywearing has been shown to strongly benefit premature infants and lower their mortality rate.

Parents who wear their babies can more easily accomplish daily activities, tasks and chores.

The natural movement and stimulation provided by being in a sling promotes neurological development.

Babywearing gives children the message that they are safe, secure and loved.

Babywearing is the most comfortable way to hold a baby. You can use a sling on your shoulders, back
or hip distributing your baby's weight evenly.

Wearing your baby in a sling provides her with constant and easy access to breastfeeding, and makes
nursing in public easy and discreet.
Carol Ann
2003-10-25 19:25:37 UTC
: Baby wearing is common in many cultures around the world. Due in part to
the promotion of slings in
: attachment parenting books, in stores and on the Internet, more and more
American parents are
: learning about baby wearing.

I wore my Chihuahua for the first few months of her life. She has grown
into a very calm, loving social two year old dog.

I intend on carrying my child in a sling as well. In the Korean culture
(which I am part of) it is common practice.

~Carol Ann
s***@02292004.com
I won a Maya wrap on ebay, I hope I can get used to wearing it and the baby.
Rob and Laura
2003-10-25 20:26:04 UTC
I use my Maya wrap for Izabella. Shes goes everywhere in it with me. I even
breastfeed her in it. Its so great.
--
Laura
Mommy to Izabella **Feb 10th, 2003**
bsky
2003-10-25 22:26:18 UTC
I know I don't post as much as I used to, but this has always been a topic I
find myself needing to post about, every year or so....

I would never use a sling, I don't think they are safe. I know I sound like
a broken record, and if you Google me, you'll find I have said the same
things over and over for years....sorry!

Accidents frequently happen to babies in slings and for me, the risk is too
great.

Dard................mom to the infamous Brianne Kaylie
s***@02292004.com
2003-10-25 22:30:04 UTC
Post by bsky
I know I don't post as much as I used to, but this has always been a topic I
find myself needing to post about, every year or so....
I would never use a sling, I don't think they are safe. I know I sound like
a broken record, and if you Google me, you'll find I have said the same
things over and over for years....sorry!
Accidents frequently happen to babies in slings and for me, the risk is too
great.
Dard................mom to the infamous Brianne Kaylie
Do you have a source for this? Is this true of all slings or a specific kind of sling? I do know
there was recall on the metal loop on one sling.
Jenrose
2003-10-27 05:50:20 UTC
Post by bsky
I know I don't post as much as I used to, but this has always been a topic I
find myself needing to post about, every year or so....
I would never use a sling, I don't think they are safe. I know I sound like
a broken record, and if you Google me, you'll find I have said the same
things over and over for years....sorry!
Accidents frequently happen to babies in slings and for me, the risk is too
great.
Huh.

Accidents happen in cribs... Accidents happen in strollers... Heck, car
seats are designed for accidents.

Slings are not a substitute for parental attention--and I find it unlikely
that babies are more likely to get hurt in a sling than in a swing or
playpen. Correctly worn, slings are very, very safe.

Jenrose
DeliciousTruffles
2003-10-27 01:34:48 UTC
Post by s***@02292004.com
I won a Maya wrap on ebay, I hope I can get used to wearing it and the baby.
I had two Maya Wraps so I could wear my twins. I love them. :-)
--
Brigitte aa #2145
edd #3 February 15, 2004

~ Harriet Martineau
Chotii
2003-10-26 00:24:43 UTC
Post by Carol Ann
: Baby wearing is common in many cultures around the world. Due in part to
the promotion of slings in
: attachment parenting books, in stores and on the Internet, more and more
American parents are
: learning about baby wearing.
I wore my Chihuahua for the first few months of her life. She has grown
into a very calm, loving social two year old dog.
I intend on carrying my child in a sling as well. In the Korean culture
(which I am part of) it is common practice.
I would like to point out that slings genuinely *hurt* some moms, whether
they're good for baby or not. I cannot carry so much as an 8 lb newborn in a
sling for more than 10 minutes, or the next day I will be half crippled with
pain in my neck and shoulder, and it will take several trips to my
chiropractor to sort it out, not to mention large quantities of ibuprofen.

The Bjorn hurt me within 10 minutes. I wouldn't even bother with the cheaper
carriers of the same style.

But, I found a carrier I can literally wear for hours on end without pain. I
do get lower-back and sometimes upper-back fatigue, but I *don't* get pain,
or at least not yet, carrying 13 lb G-baby around shopping or on fussy
evenings. I'm talking about a *type* of carrier here - a body-wrap baby
carrier. It's sold under a number of names on the Internet: Baby Bundler
($40 +S/H), Didymos ($128), Hug-a-Bub ($85 +S/H), and others. I made myself
a homemade copy for less than $10 and I'm delighted with it. You can see it
(and me, and G-baby) here: http://tinyurl.com/sd3c but there are better
pictures of the type, and how to put it on, at www.hug-a-bub.com.au. It's
very simple to make one of these (although of course it won't look quite as
pretty as the professional ones!):

Get 2 yards of 45" or wider knit cotton or cotton-poly fabric - any color,
any print, or any combination thereof in any quantity you wish. I think
cotton is cooler to wear, but YMMV. I bought a chunk of 60" wide, 2 yards
long, purple cotton blend knit at a thrift store for $4 but even new, you
shouldn't pay more than $12. Cut into 3 (or more) equal strips 15" wide (or
wider). Sew these pieces together end-to-end, so you wind up with 18' of
fabric, 15" wide (or wider). I used my serger with a flat seam stitch to
join them, but because knit is very strong and doesn't fray or ravel, you
could zigzag or even do a straight stitch if you leave a nice wide seam.
Finish edges of the seams however you like. Zigzag or serge edges, or even
leave them as they are (they won't fray). Lighter weight knits work, but the
lighter, the more they'll curl at the edges. Heavier knits are less likely
to curl.

If you need longer, to fit around your middle, just...make it longer. Ditto
for shorter. I *love* this carrier. People stop me wherever I go and say,
"What is that carrier? Where did you get it? Wow, I love the way it
distributes your weight across your whole back. Doesn't your baby look
peaceful?"

I will add that *I* cannot breastfeed with it on, because my torso is short
(I'm short anyway, and I'm short-torsoed) and my kiddo is already 22" long
at 3 months of age. But there are certainly pictures of women breastfeeding
in this type of carrier, so I know it can be done.

I call mine 'the wrap' or sometimes 'extra arms' and I really love it. And
so does the G-baby, which is just as important.

--angela (plug: if somebody wants one, but cannot sew, I'll make one for
cost plus oh $15 plus S/H! Email and we'll negotiate: chotii at oz dot net)
s***@02292004.com
Good deal.. I got a new maya wrap on ebay for $25.00 including postage.
Taniwha grrrl
2003-10-26 01:24:40 UTC
Chotii wrote:

It's sold under a number of names on
the Internet: Baby Bundler ($40 +S/H), Didymos ($128),
Hug-a-Bub ($85
+S/H), and others. I made myself a homemade copy for less
than $10
and I'm delighted with it.
I have one of those but it's called a babybonda here
www.babybonda.co.nz , and I can't use it. It's too fiddly
and hard to tie up with my Rheumatoid Arthritis. I prefer
the Maya because it's all set up for Lydia and all I have to
do it pop my head and arm through and place her in, it's
still a struggle on bad day's but a million times easier to
negotiate than the babybonda.

--
Andrea

If I can't be a good example, then I'll just have to be a
horrible warning.
Sue
2003-10-26 14:10:28 UTC
Post by Chotii
But, I found a carrier I can literally wear for hours on end without pain. I
do get lower-back and sometimes upper-back fatigue, but I *don't* get
pain, or at least not yet, carrying 13 lb G-baby around shopping or on
fussy evenings.
That looks very comfortable Andrea.

I don't like the Maya wraps for older/bigger babies. They look uncomfortable
for mom and baby. I saw one mom whose baby is a chunk (cute, but big baby)
and she wasn't able to be hands free as she had to support the babies butt
and she looked totally uncomfortable to me. And wearing the babies like
that would definitely hurt my back. I wore the babies in a front pack
carrier while they were under a year and small, but any older than that or
heavy, I wasn't able to do it.
--
Sue (mom to three girls)
Rob and Laura
2003-10-26 15:06:52 UTC
Well in the Maya you can carry them in the front. I love my Maya and I do
not feel any pain or hardly anything when carrying Izabella around she just
loves it. Its the best thing that I have ever bought to use with her.
Chotii
2003-10-26 17:55:58 UTC
Post by Rob and Laura
Well in the Maya you can carry them in the front. I love my Maya and I do
not feel any pain or hardly anything when carrying Izabella around she just
loves it. Its the best thing that I have ever bought to use with her.
Don't misunderstand me, I think the sling is a great thing - if it doesn't
hurt mom's back. It does hurt *my* neck and shoulder every single time, so I
have been delighted to find the wrap-type knit carrier. I don't think for a
moment that it will work for *everyone*, any more than slings work for
everyone. But if somebody wanted to try this type out, it's easy and cheap
to make.

--angela
Shelly
2003-10-26 22:56:34 UTC
"Chotii" <***@verizon.outdamnedspam.net> wrote in message news:OUTmb.6832662$***@news.easynews.com...
But if somebody wanted to try this type out, it's easy and cheap
Post by Chotii
to make.
--angela
Thanks for posting your directions for making one, angela. It looks really
great; I think I'll try to make one.

Thanks!
-Michelle
Jenrose
2003-10-27 06:17:09 UTC
Post by Rob and Laura
loves it. Its the best thing that I have ever bought to use with her.
Don't misunderstand me, I think the sling is a great thing - if it doesn't
hurt mom's back. It does hurt *my* neck and shoulder every single time, so I
have been delighted to find the wrap-type knit carrier. I don't think for a
moment that it will work for *everyone*, any more than slings work for
everyone. But if somebody wanted to try this type out, it's easy and cheap
to make.
Curious...which slings have you tried?

Jenrose
Chotii
2003-10-27 08:32:07 UTC
Post by Jenrose
Post by Jenrose
Post by Chotii
moment that it will work for *everyone*, any more than slings work for
everyone. But if somebody wanted to try this type out, it's easy and cheap
to make.
Curious...which slings have you tried?
Maya Wrap, Rebozo (from Rebozo Way), simple sarong from World Imports tied
as a Rebozo...also a Nojo....the problem (in my case) is what is probably an
RSI from my college days, from carrying my very heavy backpack slung over my
left shoulder every day for years. I have chronic pain/stiffness problems in
my right-side neck and shoulder *anyway*, despite massage, chiropractic,
much better ergonomics, and almost 15 intervening years since I got out of
college. This is why it doesn't matter what sling I use, any sling is bad
for me, even worn correctly (and I have the Maya Wrap video, and yes, I've
worn it properly. It's just my body mechanics that are out of whack.)

--angela
Jenrose
2003-10-27 08:34:55 UTC
Post by Chotii
Maya Wrap, Rebozo (from Rebozo Way), simple sarong from World Imports tied
as a Rebozo...also a Nojo....the problem (in my case) is what is probably an
RSI from my college days, from carrying my very heavy backpack slung over my
left shoulder every day for years. I have chronic pain/stiffness problems in
my right-side neck and shoulder *anyway*, despite massage, chiropractic,
much better ergonomics, and almost 15 intervening years since I got out of
college. This is why it doesn't matter what sling I use, any sling is bad
for me, even worn correctly (and I have the Maya Wrap video, and yes, I've
worn it properly. It's just my body mechanics that are out of whack.)
--angela
You might look at the Mamaroo...the owner designed it after a bad back
injury--it's very much like a wrapround but has a pocket that makes it more
simple to get on.

Jenrose
Chotii
2003-10-27 18:13:45 UTC
Post by Jenrose
Post by Chotii
Maya Wrap, Rebozo (from Rebozo Way), simple sarong from World Imports tied
as a Rebozo...also a Nojo....the problem (in my case) is what is
probably
Post by Jenrose
an
Post by Chotii
RSI from my college days, from carrying my very heavy backpack slung
over
Post by Jenrose
my
Post by Chotii
left shoulder every day for years. I have chronic pain/stiffness
problems
Post by Jenrose
in
Post by Chotii
my right-side neck and shoulder *anyway*, despite massage, chiropractic,
much better ergonomics, and almost 15 intervening years since I got out of
college. This is why it doesn't matter what sling I use, any sling is bad
for me, even worn correctly (and I have the Maya Wrap video, and yes, I've
worn it properly. It's just my body mechanics that are out of whack.)
--angela
You might look at the Mamaroo...the owner designed it after a bad back
injury--it's very much like a wrapround but has a pocket that makes it more
simple to get on.
Huh. It does look very interesting. Though I've gotten very proficient now
at getting the other one on - I'm not complaining about it, you know, I'm
delighted with it. Also that I was able to make it for $4! *IF* I was still
in the market for a new baby carrier (I've made myself 4 of the wraparounds
now, so I think I'm set ;) I think I'd buy the Mamaroo. But I've gotten very
fast at putting on the other.

--angela
c***@yahoo.com
2003-10-27 07:04:00 UTC
Post by Rob and Laura
loves it. Its the best thing that I have ever bought to use with her.
Don't misunderstand me, I think the sling is a great thing - if it doesn't
hurt mom's back.
Does anyone else get a sore knee on the side opposite the "slung"
shoulder (if sling is on left shoulder, right knee hurts)? It took me
some time to work out that it was the sling causing it; I'd really
liked my slings for the first 20 pounds or so. I've scarcely used
them since August and my knee still isn't quite back to normal...
C, mama to one year old nursling
AmyAmy4734
2003-10-26 21:24:51 UTC
Post by Chotii
do get lower-back and sometimes upper-back fatigue, but I *don't* get
pain, or at least not yet, carrying 13 lb G-baby around shopping or on
fussy evenings.
That looks very comfortable Andrea.
I don't like the Maya wraps for older/bigger babies. They look uncomfortable
for mom and baby. I saw one mom whose baby is a chunk (cute, but big baby)
and she wasn't able to be hands free as she had to support the babies butt
and she looked totally uncomfortable to me. And wearing the babies like
that would definitely hurt my back. I wore the babies in a front pack
carrier while they were under a year and small, but any older than that or
heavy, I wasn't able to do it.
--
Sue (mom to three girls)
And for those who can do the Maya Wrap, it is a wonder. I got through a 90
minute band practice with my 18 lb 7 month old in the sling on my back while I
was wearing and playing the electric bass. And yes, for those of you who are
concerned, the music wasn't loud enough to damage baby's ears. In fact, she
slept through about half the rehearsal.

Amy
mom to Patricia 5-12-99
Christina 3-21-03
Jenrose
2003-10-27 06:16:40 UTC
Post by Sue
I don't like the Maya wraps for older/bigger babies. They look
uncomfortable
Post by Sue
for mom and baby.
It really depends on how they're worn.
Post by Sue
I saw one mom whose baby is a chunk (cute, but big baby)
and she wasn't able to be hands free as she had to support the babies butt
and she looked totally uncomfortable to me.
If she had to support the baby's bottom, she wasn't wearing it correctly.
The Maya Wrap should be hands-free, correctly worn, from birth up through as
heavy as you can carry a child. Now there are more comfortable ways to carry
a heavy child (in fact, two Maya wraps crossed are an improvement), but I've
carried a 4-year-old comfortably in a Maya and she was NOT light. If the
bottom is higher than the knees, it won't be secure.
Post by Sue
And wearing the babies like
that would definitely hurt my back. I wore the babies in a front pack
carrier while they were under a year and small, but any older than that or
heavy, I wasn't able to do it.
Take a look at some of the other carriers out there. For example, a good
Asian Style (packababy, baby back tie, Kelley's Kozy, Cuddle N Carry)
carrier is fantastic for even much older kids. It was the single most
comfortable way I found to carry a 6 year old (55 pounds). The Ergo is a
more structured version of that general kind of carrier, but has more limits
in parent size. Personally, being a larger mom, I prefer the unstructured
Asian carriers for long-wearing of older kids.

Basically, if you can carry a child in your arms, you can probably carry
that child more comfortably in a sling, wraparound or asian-style carrier.

Oh, the other really comfortable sling for a wide age range is the Kangaroo
Korner adjustable fleece pouch. My 6-year-old tester said this one was one
of the more comfortable for her, and it was really surprisingly good for me
for a one-shoulder carry. It spreads the weight out incredibly well and
stretches but holds baby close.

Jenrose
Jenrose
2003-10-27 06:09:40 UTC
"Chotii" <***@verizon.outdamnedspam.net> wrote in message news:fvEmb.534664$***@news.easynews.com...
<snip>
Post by Chotii
I would like to point out that slings genuinely *hurt* some moms, whether
they're good for baby or not. I cannot carry so much as an 8 lb newborn in a
sling for more than 10 minutes, or the next day I will be half crippled with
pain in my neck and shoulder, and it will take several trips to my
chiropractor to sort it out, not to mention large quantities of ibuprofen.
I think this can depend both on the sling and the wearer. Many slings will
be quickly painful if worn incorrectly. Some people will find slings
uncomfortable even worn correctly, but this is rarer. For those who find a
single sling painful, two unpadded slings crossed can help spread the weight
over both shoulders and greatly reduce pain involved in babywearing. Padded
slings may be less comfortable than unpadded slings, and unpadded slings
vary radically. How the shoulder is sewn in may make an incredible
difference from mom to mom, because different "styles" of shoulder
attachment work differently on different shapes of shoulder.
Post by Chotii
The Bjorn hurt me within 10 minutes. I wouldn't even bother with the cheaper
carriers of the same style.
I wouldn't bother either. A better option is the Asian-style carrier, a
simple rectangle of cloth with four straps. See www.kozycarrier.com for an
excellent example (one of the best carriers of this type I've tried, and
superb for older babies, toddlers, and even preschoolers. I was able to put
my 10-year-old on my back in it with no more pain than piggybacking her
would cause, and better balance.) It's easier too.
Post by Chotii
But, I found a carrier I can literally wear for hours on end without pain. I
do get lower-back and sometimes upper-back fatigue, but I *don't* get pain,
or at least not yet, carrying 13 lb G-baby around shopping or on fussy
evenings. I'm talking about a *type* of carrier here - a body-wrap baby
carrier. It's sold under a number of names on the Internet: Baby Bundler
($40 +S/H), Didymos ($128), Hug-a-Bub ($85 +S/H), and others. I made myself
a homemade copy for less than $10 and I'm delighted with it. You can see it
(and me, and G-baby) here: http://tinyurl.com/sd3c but there are better
pictures of the type, and how to put it on, at www.hug-a-bub.com.au. It's
very simple to make one of these (although of course it won't look quite as
Wraparounds are great. Your instructions below... I'll amend with some
points.
Post by Chotii
Get 2 yards of 45" or wider knit cotton or cotton-poly fabric - any color,
any print, or any combination thereof in any quantity you wish.
The stress point in any carrier will be the stitching. Wraparounds need no
stitching. Larger women will prefer closer to 6 yards total, and the total
width should be no narrower than 15 inches, but 20 or 25 is probably better
for most. If you get 6 yards x 45 inches and cut it in half lengthwise, you
will have TWO carriers, one for wearing and one for washing, and no "stress
point" seams to break.
Post by Chotii
I think
cotton is cooler to wear, but YMMV. I bought a chunk of 60" wide, 2 yards
long, purple cotton blend knit at a thrift store for $4 but even new, you
shouldn't pay more than $12.
Stretchy wraparounds are wonderful. Try using 100% cotton interlock or
Jersey knit. Blends will pill up faster in most cases. But an even cheaper
wraparound can be had--go to Wal Mart and look for a lightweight gauze for
about $1 per yard. Two slings for 6 bucks...not bad! Not stretchy, but if
the fabric has some good diagonal give, then it will still be very comfy.
Post by Chotii
Cut into 3 (or more) equal strips 15" wide (or
wider). Sew these pieces together end-to-end, so you wind up with 18' of
fabric, 15" wide (or wider). I used my serger with a flat seam stitch to
join them, but because knit is very strong and doesn't fray or ravel, you
could zigzag or even do a straight stitch if you leave a nice wide seam.
Do not straight stitch stretchy fabrics, particularly across the stretch.
The stitching will break quickly when the weight of baby is applied, or it
will pull holes in the fabric eventually. Zigzag is important on stretch
fabrics. You want the stitch to give with the fabric, without either the
fabric or the stitching breaking! If you don't have a zigzag, sport stitch
or serger, get non-stretchy fabric if you are putting seams in. Whenever I
have a mid-sling seam (and I avoid them for wraparounds--this mostly applies
to pouches) in a stretchy fabric, I will first serge the seam together, then
fold the seam flat, and put another layer of stitching in. My favorite (and
the one we use to sew the rings into the MamaBaby ring slings) is a
double-needle stitch. It looks slick from the top and zigzags underneath and
stretches like crazy. But a zig zag or sport (triple) stitch will work just
as well. But it's better to just buy a longer piece of fabric, skip the seam
and make two slings. My favorite... one 6-yard piece of interlock will make
1 stretchy wraparound, one pouch and two ring slings. That covers
everything... pouch for quick in and out, wraparound for long carrying, and
a pair of ring slings to cross for almost everything in between.
Post by Chotii
Finish edges of the seams however you like. Zigzag or serge edges, or even
leave them as they are (they won't fray). Lighter weight knits work, but the
lighter, the more they'll curl at the edges. Heavier knits are less likely
to curl.
I would serge them if you can. If you can't, make sure they're not
unravelling (knits don't fray exactly, but they do run, and they are not as
strong if they're just cut.) If you're not sure, fold the edge over twice
and zig zag.
Post by Chotii
If you need longer, to fit around your middle, just...make it longer. Ditto
for shorter.
www.peppermint.com has a good guide for how long a wraparound should be for
various sized people. They also have excellent wrapping instructions.
Post by Chotii
in this type of carrier, so I know it can be done.
Try wrapping like an Ultimate Baby Wrap, then push one shoulder down off
your shoulder and bring your arm up, and nurse baby with only one side up.
Bring it back up when you want to stop.
Post by Chotii
I call mine 'the wrap' or sometimes 'extra arms' and I really love it. And
so does the G-baby, which is just as important.
--angela (plug: if somebody wants one, but cannot sew, I'll make one for
cost plus oh $15 plus S/H! Email and we'll negotiate: chotii at oz dot net)
Another inexpensive option is the MobyWrap, a stretchy wraparound which
retails for about $30. Peppermint.com will be carrying them soon.

Jenrose
b***@gmail.com
2014-02-12 06:13:16 UTC
If you are looking for a baby carrier, I suggest Mamas & Papas "Flo" Baby Wrap. For its special features, see details here: http://bit.ly/LTxaxP