What do you miss eating the most?
Carol
2004-01-27 15:36:58 UTC
I'm dreaming quite nostagically of a glass of good red wine and some brie
cheese.

Carol
#1 EDD 8/30/04
Carol
2004-01-27 15:38:48 UTC
Grr . . . pregnancy brain strikes again -- 'nostalgically,' I meant to say.
#1 EDD 8/30/04
KD
2004-01-27 16:07:50 UTC
Peanut butter sandwiches! I'm avoiding all peanuts and nuts due to
allergy fears and I could really go for a nice fat peanut butter
sandwich! Oh well, I can wait 15 more months (3 months to go plus 1
yr nursing) <ugh>!

#1 EDD 8/30/04
Jody Pellerin
2004-01-27 16:36:21 UTC
:) Peanut butter. I don't think one sandwich will hurt, unless you yourself
are allergic to it? Once breastfeeding, pump well ahead of time and once
done, have a peanut butter sandwich. And hopefully by the time you gotta
nurse or pump again, it will be well digested.

#1 EDD 8/30/04
KD
2004-01-27 20:47:28 UTC
My dd has a severe nut allergy and the aap recommends avoiding peanuts
and nuts during pregnancy and breastfeeding if there is a family
history of any allergy. If I can do anything to prevent this baby
from having allergies as well, I'm all for it! And as far as I know,
the protiens can stick around and be excreted into the breast milk for
days if not weeks so I'll just avoid it altogether and look forward to
the day when I don't have to.

#1 EDD 8/30/04
little one
2004-01-27 22:01:09 UTC
a nice baileys and cream or a toasted almond. yummy.....the food, i
just eat whatever i want...mostly sweets!!!

melanie
Plissken
2004-01-27 17:03:03 UTC
I never avoided peanut butter while pregnant or breastfeeding.
--
Nadene

Shena Delian O'Brien
2004-01-27 17:55:37 UTC
Post by KD
Peanut butter sandwiches! I'm avoiding all peanuts and nuts due to
allergy fears and I could really go for a nice fat peanut butter
sandwich! Oh well, I can wait 15 more months (3 months to go plus 1
yr nursing) <ugh>!
Gosh I don't know what I would do without my PBJ! I have lived on them
for breakfast practically the entire pregnancy.
ted
2004-01-27 22:00:10 UTC
Post by KD
Peanut butter sandwiches! I'm avoiding all peanuts and nuts due to
allergy fears and I could really go for a nice fat peanut butter
sandwich! Oh well, I can wait 15 more months (3 months to go plus 1
yr nursing) <ugh>!
I have to avoid peanut butter?? NO NO NO please don't say that!! I ate
two big jars of pb in my maternity leave alone. DD is not bothered and
I was bfing the whole time!
Donna
2004-01-27 15:55:17 UTC
Post by Carol
I'm dreaming quite nostagically of a glass of good red wine and some brie
cheese.
If you are in the US, you can eat brie. The vast majority of our cheeses
are pasteurized. But yeah, unpasteurized brie is gorgeous, isn't it?

What do I miss.... bourbon old fashioneds, sashimi, imported cheeses....
actually, I miss food tasting the way it used to. Everything smells so
strong to me when I'm pregnant, and food just tastes wrong. Not, mind you,
that that seems to be stopping me from eating everything in sight... <sigh>

Donna
Vicky Bilaniuk
2004-01-27 16:13:42 UTC
#1 EDD 8/30/04
Port.
Carol Ann
2004-01-27 16:36:15 UTC
: Port.

Awww, yes, port..........yummy!!!!!!!!

~Carol Ann
www.bestinatlanta.com/mybaby.html
Carol Ann
2004-01-27 16:34:58 UTC
: I'm dreaming quite nostagically of a glass of good red wine and some brie
: cheese.
:
: Carol
: #1 EDD 8/30/04

I don't miss eating anything in particular because I tend to eat what I
want. However, I do miss the occasional glass of red wine.

Naomi Rivkis
2004-01-27 16:53:35 UTC
Post by Carol
I'm dreaming quite nostagically of a glass of good red wine and some brie
cheese.
Tuna salad.

N.
New York Jen

N.
Naomi Rivkis
2004-01-27 18:21:24 UTC
On Tue, 27 Jan 2004 17:23:32 GMT, "New York Jen"
Post by New York Jen
You CAN have tuna salad, just eat it in moderation...
About 1 can a week is totally fine.
I know. But I used to live on the stuff. I do still eat it
occasionally, but I miss being able to keep a huge bowl of it in the
fridge and just snack on it whenever I felt like.

Naomi
Shena Delian O'Brien
Naomi
Fer
2004-01-27 16:56:20 UTC
Hmmmm lemongrass and a nice cool glass of white wine yummmm
DeliciousTruffles
2004-01-27 17:16:50 UTC
Post by Fer
Hmmmm lemongrass and a nice cool glass of white wine yummmm
Lemongrass?
--
Brigitte aa #2145
edd #3 February 15, 2004

~ Harriet Martineau
Fer
2004-01-27 19:37:06 UTC
Subject: Re: What do you miss eating the most?
Date: 1/27/04 9:16 AM Pacific Standard Time
Uterine stimulant :(
toypup
2004-01-27 20:02:31 UTC
Date: 1/27/04 9:16 AM Pacific Standard Time
Post by Fer
Hmmmm lemongrass and a nice cool glass of white wine yummmm
Lemongrass?
--
Uterine stimulant :(
Oh. Well, never ate much this pg anyway. Glad you told me, though. I'm at
risk of having a preemie. Don't need extra uterine stimulation.
DeliciousTruffles
2004-01-27 20:52:14 UTC
Post by Fer
Post by DeliciousTruffles
Lemongrass?
Uterine stimulant :(
Well, it's not like I can get any here in Merritt, anyway. :-(
--
Brigitte aa #2145
edd #3 February 15, 2004

~ Harriet Martineau
toypup
2004-01-27 17:25:12 UTC
Are we not supposed to eat lemongrass?
Plissken
2004-01-27 17:04:11 UTC
"Carol" <***@comcast.net> wrote in message news:***@comcast.com...
| I'm dreaming quite nostagically of a glass of good red wine and some brie
| cheese.
|
| Carol
| #1 EDD 8/30/04

Not pregnant right now but I remember yearning for sushi with salmon and
tuna.

Nadene
DeliciousTruffles
2004-01-27 17:15:29 UTC
Post by Carol
I'm dreaming quite nostagically of a glass of good red wine and some brie
cheese.
Peanut butter
brie
greek salad
Sandwiches
A nice fruity beaujolais
--
Brigitte aa #2145
edd #3 February 15, 2004

~ Harriet Martineau
Carla
2004-01-27 17:21:55 UTC
I've been about to die for an Amstel Lite so that I can have a good
ole beer burp for this wicked heartburn!

mmmm....beer

Carla

#1 EDD 8/30/04
New York Jen
2004-01-27 17:24:15 UTC
There was a study out very recently that states that as long as the cheese
is pasteurized (as pretty much ALL cheeses in the US are) then they are fine
to eat while pregnant. This includes feta and brie. I ate feta all the
time when pregnant with Laszlo because I had already heard this from a
doctor. I'm not craving it as much this time around, but I did just buy a
big chunk of *pasteurized* brie at the market.

EAT THAT CHEESE! It's great for calcium and gets you over at least that
craving!

- Jen
#1 EDD 8/30/04
Carol
2004-01-27 17:44:29 UTC
Post by New York Jen
There was a study out very recently that states that as long as the cheese
is pasteurized (as pretty much ALL cheeses in the US are) then they are fine
to eat while pregnant. This includes feta and brie. I ate feta all the
time when pregnant with Laszlo because I had already heard this from a
doctor. I'm not craving it as much this time around, but I did just buy a
big chunk of *pasteurized* brie at the market.
EAT THAT CHEESE! It's great for calcium and gets you over at least that
craving!
- Jen
I've been eating all kinds of other cheeses, but -- they are just not brie.
The problem with the pasteurized bries in our local supermarkets, though, is
that they are always at least double- and sometimes triple-creme as well,
which is why we branched out a few years ago to a cheese shop in our area.
Seems to me the handmade bries in that shop would likely be more iffy.

Carol
DeliciousTruffles
2004-01-27 21:01:01 UTC
Post by New York Jen
There was a study out very recently that states that as long as the cheese
is pasteurized (as pretty much ALL cheeses in the US are) then they are fine
to eat while pregnant. This includes feta and brie. I ate feta all the
time when pregnant with Laszlo because I had already heard this from a
doctor. I'm not craving it as much this time around, but I did just buy a
big chunk of *pasteurized* brie at the market.
Okay. I'm confused now. I read in 2001 (when pg with my twins) that
even brie and feta that is pasteurized can still harbour Listeria.

Listeria is annoying me. :-(
--
Brigitte aa #2145
edd #3 February 15, 2004

~ Harriet Martineau
Ericka Kammerer
2004-01-27 21:34:51 UTC
Post by DeliciousTruffles
Okay. I'm confused now. I read in 2001 (when pg with my twins) that
even brie and feta that is pasteurized can still harbour Listeria.
It is still a possibility, particularly with deli
cheeses, but the risk comes from how it's stored and handled
rather than from the milk used to make it.

Best wishes,
Ericka
DeliciousTruffles
2004-01-27 21:12:44 UTC
Post by Ericka Kammerer
Post by DeliciousTruffles
Okay. I'm confused now. I read in 2001 (when pg with my twins) that
even brie and feta that is pasteurized can still harbour Listeria.
It is still a possibility, particularly with deli
cheeses, but the risk comes from how it's stored and handled
rather than from the milk used to make it.
So the risk is still there, then, but from cross-contamination.
--
Brigitte aa #2145
edd #3 February 15, 2004

~ Harriet Martineau
New York Jen
~ Harriet Martineau
DeliciousTruffles
2004-01-27 21:47:06 UTC
Post by New York Jen
As much as it is from any deli meat you would purchase...
That's why I'm not eating deli meat. LOL! ;-)
--
Brigitte aa #2145
edd #3 February 15, 2004

~ Harriet Martineau
Nan
2004-01-28 00:25:35 UTC
On Tue, 27 Jan 2004 13:47:06 -0800, DeliciousTruffles
Post by DeliciousTruffles
Post by New York Jen
As much as it is from any deli meat you would purchase...
That's why I'm not eating deli meat. LOL! ;-)
And that's what I miss eating! I miss the cold Dagwood sammiches we'd
make every so often.
I love Swiss cheese, but am not eating it right now because it upsets
my erm, 'system' too easily during pregnancy ;-)

Nan
Jamie Clark
2004-01-27 21:51:36 UTC
Yes, perhaps, but if you purchase the prewrapped brie, in the fancy cheese
section, you don't have the listeria worry, at least I'd think not. Rather
than the large wheel where they slice you off how much you want.
--

Jamie & Taylor
Earth Angel, 1/3/03

Check out Taylor Marlys -- www.MyFamily.com, User ID: Clark_guest,
Password: Guest1
Password

Handmade Baby Blankets -- www.geocities.com/digit_the_cat/Blankets.html
~ Harriet Martineau
Ericka Kammerer
2004-01-27 23:03:43 UTC
Post by Jamie Clark
Yes, perhaps, but if you purchase the prewrapped brie, in the fancy cheese
section, you don't have the listeria worry, at least I'd think not. Rather
than the large wheel where they slice you off how much you want.
Yes, that's likely true (unless the manufacturing
plant was suspect... ;-)

Best wishes,
Ericka
New York Jen
2004-01-27 17:24:52 UTC
#1 EDD 8/30/04
SUSHI, SUSHI, SUSHI!

DH went out the night after we got home from the hospital with Laszlo and
got me my favorite sushi...I'm looking forward to the same treatment in
March!
Kim
2004-02-27 17:43:48 UTC
Post by Carol
I'm dreaming quite nostagically of a glass of good red wine and some brie
cheese.
SUSHI!!!! And a glass of beer!

-kim
Shena Delian O'Brien
2004-01-27 17:57:09 UTC
Post by Carol
I'm dreaming quite nostagically of a glass of good red wine and some brie
cheese.
Tuna casserole, tuna sandwhiches... big glasses of coke... my white
chocolate mochas... shrimp!
New York Jen
2004-01-27 19:19:45 UTC
Why no shrimp?????

And you can have tuna in moderation!

I think people are going a little overboard with eliminating stuff...
chocolate mochas... shrimp!
Sophie
2004-01-27 19:22:11 UTC
Post by New York Jen
Why no shrimp?????
And you can have tuna in moderation!
I think people are going a little overboard with eliminating stuff...
You said it! I've been reading this thread with total fascination and
disbelief - lol.
chocolate mochas... shrimp!
Clisby
2004-01-27 19:36:18 UTC
Post by Sophie
Post by New York Jen
Why no shrimp?????
And you can have tuna in moderation!
I think people are going a little overboard with eliminating stuff...
You said it! I've been reading this thread with total fascination and
disbelief - lol.
Me, too. I didn't give up anything, except for Indian food (and that
was just because I developed an aversion to it - had nothing to do with
the food itself.) Well, I drank wine a lot less often - but I didn't
give it up totally.

Good grief, this is pregnancy, not a trip to a monastery.

Clisby
Post by Sophie
chocolate mochas... shrimp!
Shena Delian O'Brien
2004-01-27 19:42:47 UTC
Post by Clisby
Good grief, this is pregnancy, not a trip to a monastery.
YOU fight infertility and miscarriage and then tell me you won't be as
careful as possible during your pregnancy.

No tuna because of the mercury. Mercury is a heavy metal and builds up
in your system. It doesn't go away - it adds up!

No shrimp because they are bottom feeders and can also contain mercury,
or any other crappy thing you dredge up on the bottom of the ocean.

I've only had the slightest little bits of caffeine, and only during
late pregnancy, and only natural forms like tea, absolutely no coffee.
Nikki
2004-01-27 19:55:39 UTC
Post by Shena Delian O'Brien
Post by Clisby
Good grief, this is pregnancy, not a trip to a monastery.
YOU fight infertility and miscarriage and then tell me you won't be as
careful as possible during your pregnancy.
You guys can avoid anything you want but it is ludicrous to think that
people that get pregnant easily some how care less about the health of their
babies.

What do you imagine....that people go around thinking....'Oh, I can do
whatever I want because if I screw this one up I'll just have another?' Do
you see how rediculous that is when talking about a baby?!

--
Nikki
Mama to Hunter (4) and Luke (2)
Shena Delian O'Brien
2004-01-27 20:04:22 UTC
Post by Nikki
What do you imagine....that people go around thinking....'Oh, I can do
whatever I want because if I screw this one up I'll just have another?' Do
you see how rediculous that is when talking about a baby?!
No, I imagine that they have the luxury of not worrying so much, so they
don't spend countless hours researching every little possible thing that
could have contributed to miscarriage; I imagine they have the luxury of
assuming first that everything will go ok and only thinking of the
negative things when they actually HAPPEN; I imagine they have enough
hope and trust left to just listen to the doctor's little speech about
soft cheese and swordfish and think everything else is "ok" because for
the majority of people, that is the case.

Once you've already been in the minority however, you tend to pay
special attention to minority problems.
Sophie
2004-01-27 20:08:29 UTC
Post by Shena Delian O'Brien
Post by Nikki
you see how rediculous that is when talking about a baby?!
No, I imagine that they have the luxury of not worrying so much, so they
don't spend countless hours researching every little possible thing that
could have contributed to miscarriage; I imagine they have the luxury of
assuming first that everything will go ok and only thinking of the
negative things when they actually HAPPEN; I imagine they have enough
hope and trust left to just listen to the doctor's little speech about
soft cheese and swordfish and think everything else is "ok" because for
the majority of people, that is the case.
Once you've already been in the minority however, you tend to pay
special attention to minority problems.
Oh please!! You are really out of your mind if you don't think every
pregnant woman worries. 1 out of 5 pregnancies ends in miscarriage. You
don't think that bothers every pregnant woman?

Oh what do I know anyway, I get pregnant easily so I guess I shouldn't even
have an opinion on this <eyeroll>
Shena Delian O'Brien
2004-01-27 20:18:07 UTC
Post by Sophie
Oh please!! You are really out of your mind if you don't think every
pregnant woman worries. 1 out of 5 pregnancies ends in miscarriage. You
don't think that bothers every pregnant woman?
Of course they worry, but they worry about things like whether or not
they are feeling the baby move, etc. They aren't worrying about the
aspartame in their diet drink, the caffeine in their coke, the cigarette
smoke from the guy downstairs that wafts up into their open window, the
effects of strong gasoline smells or whether a *little* bit of a poison
(mercury) is ok.

Good god woman my mother drank 2 pots of coffee a day and smoked like a
chimney while she was pregnant with me. She was also insulin dependent
diabetic (had been for 3 years prior to my birth). She worried about
whether or not I'd make it because her doctor said diabetic babies die a
lot towards the end of the pregnancy. But she didn't worry at all about
the caffeine or cigarette smoke even looked at me like I was crazy when
I said I was avoiding caffeine. (And you *could* I suppose say I came
out fine, except for the 2 chronic illnesses, the infertility, the years
of chronic bad health, etc.)

Of course pregnant women worry! But there's good healthy worry, and
worry that eats away at you and makes you go nuts because you just know
that one wrong step and you're done, and may never get another chance.
Now you're being facetious. ;)
Sophie
2004-01-27 20:30:50 UTC
Post by Shena Delian O'Brien
Post by Sophie
don't think that bothers every pregnant woman?
Of course they worry, but they worry about things like whether or not
they are feeling the baby move, etc. They aren't worrying about the
aspartame in their diet drink, the caffeine in their coke, the cigarette
smoke from the guy downstairs that wafts up into their open window, the
effects of strong gasoline smells or whether a *little* bit of a poison
(mercury) is ok.
Oh get real. How the hell do you know what they're worrying about??
Post by Sophie
Oh what do I know anyway, I get pregnant easily so I guess I shouldn't even
have an opinion on this <eyeroll>
Now you're being facetious. ;)
You're being nuts. Whatever, you're beyond discussing this with. You have
your mind made up and that's that.
Shena Delian O'Brien
2004-01-27 21:05:34 UTC
Post by Sophie
You're being nuts. Whatever, you're beyond discussing this with. You have
your mind made up and that's that.
Hey - I wasn't walking around making fun of people for being careful
with their bodies and their babies. I have real logical reasoning
because the choices I make, and if I get a healthy baby out of it while
keeping my peace of mind, then more power to me.

It does make me nuts to see ppl being so lackadaisical and laughing at
people who aren't. I'm glad my actions to protect the life of my child
are so AMUSING.
Sophie
2004-01-27 21:10:49 UTC
Post by Shena Delian O'Brien
Post by Sophie
You're being nuts. Whatever, you're beyond discussing this with. You have
your mind made up and that's that.
Hey - I wasn't walking around making fun of people for being careful
with their bodies and their babies. I have real logical reasoning
because the choices I make, and if I get a healthy baby out of it while
keeping my peace of mind, then more power to me.
It does make me nuts to see ppl being so lackadaisical and laughing at
people who aren't. I'm glad my actions to protect the life of my child
are so AMUSING.
It's called being over the top about it. There's nothing wrong with being
*cautious*. I just didn't care for your assumptions about women who either
haven't had miscarriages or fertility problems. No one is laughing at
anyone.
New York Jen
2004-01-27 20:31:04 UTC
Post by Sophie
Oh what do I know anyway, I get pregnant easily so I guess I shouldn't even
have an opinion on this <eyeroll>
Now you're being facetious. ;)
That kind of worry does not come from infertility, it more likely comes from
OCD...

:-)
Nikki
2004-01-27 21:03:11 UTC
Post by Shena Delian O'Brien
Of course they worry, but they worry about things like whether or not
they are feeling the baby move, etc. They aren't worrying about the
aspartame in their diet drink, the caffeine in their coke, the
cigarette smoke from the guy downstairs that wafts up into their open
window, the effects of strong gasoline smells or whether a *little*
bit of a poison (mercury) is ok.
Well you would be wrong there. Those things impact the health of the
baby....and everyone is equally concerned about that because every baby is
equally cherished. Perhaps I am just misunderstanding. I though this was
primarly focused on consumption and how that might effect the health of the
baby...not risk of miscarriage.

Actually most people I know worried considerably about miscarriage although
I can believe that it would be magnified if you had a previous one.
Post by Shena Delian O'Brien
Of course pregnant women worry! But there's good healthy worry, and
worry that eats away at you and makes you go nuts because you just
know that one wrong step and you're done, and may never get another
chance.
Odviously eliminating even a long list of foods is not a big deal. I
avoided some things as well. But if you can't shake the worry that 'eats
away at you and makes you go nuts' then that is more of a personality thing
IMO. If you hang *all* of that anxiety on prior loss you embrace that level
of anxiety as normal and expected for your situation... and I don't believe
it is. Your selling yourself short and possibly not enjoying your pregnancy
like you might.

--
Nikki
Mama to Hunter (4) and Luke (2)
Shena Delian O'Brien
2004-01-27 21:15:08 UTC
Post by Nikki
Odviously eliminating even a long list of foods is not a big deal. I
avoided some things as well. But if you can't shake the worry that 'eats
away at you and makes you go nuts' then that is more of a personality thing
IMO. If you hang *all* of that anxiety on prior loss you embrace that level
of anxiety as normal and expected for your situation... and I don't believe
it is. Your selling yourself short and possibly not enjoying your pregnancy
like you might.
It's not the prior loss so much as it is that the prior loss taught me
something and made me more cautious about very real risk factors that I,
personally, am at risk for. It is the idea that if something goes wrong
with this pregnancy I may never get another... not to mention that I'm
far enough along now that instead of miscarriage it would be stillbirth
or complications making the baby ill... I have a real live person inside
of me that I need to protect. My body is so sensitive to certain things
(like caffeine) and wasn't the best hormonal place to begin with, I
don't want to stress him out by drugging him (caffeine, cigarette smoke
etc) or by possibly making him ill (eating something with listeria, etc).

I know for a fact that I'm possibly not enjoying this pregnancy like I
might, but there's little I can do about it. Ignorance is bliss, as they
say! You cannot unfortunately *unknow* something you now know. I now
know loss, I know fear because I'm not the most ideal candidate for
reproduction... I just want a healthy baby and to give him the best
start at life.
Nikki
2004-01-27 21:55:08 UTC
Shena Delian O'Brien wrote:

I have a real live
person inside of me that I need to protect.
What I'm having a problem with is that it seems to me you feel like woman
without previos loss or fertility issues don't 'get' that. That - the real
live person thing - is there for *everyone*. We all want *each one* of our
babies to survive and be healthy, regardless of previous loss or previous
children. We all take measures to protect *each* of our babies. The babies
sans previous loss, after 10 healthy children, after one healthy and one not
healthy baby, after infertility, after miscarriage, the first and last
baby....each baby/pregnancy is equally protected, none are expendable.

I gave up a number of things in my pregnancy. I did that without a history
of miscarriage or infertility. I did that to protect the baby I was
carrying. All woman do that to some level. Each woman does different
things based on personal comfort level. IMO (unless the doctor has given
some specific instruction or she has learned a new peice of information) a
woman handles each pregnancy the same regardless of history.

My body is so sensitive
to certain things (like caffeine) and wasn't the best hormonal place
to begin with, I don't want to stress him out by drugging him
(caffeine, cigarette smoke etc) or by possibly making him ill (eating
something with listeria, etc).
Then by all means...carry on. You are doing no harm to avoid those things.
A question might be (and I realize you can't possible answer this because
you can't change your history) but without the loss and fertility issues
would you go through a pregnancy consuming those things.
I know for a fact that I'm possibly not enjoying this pregnancy like I
might, but there's little I can do about it.
That is not true. Many people suffer from above normal anxiety and there
are treatments.

I just want a healthy baby and to give him the
best start at life.
Yes. That is the point. *Everyone* wants that.

--
Nikki
Mama to Hunter (4) and Luke (2)
Shena Delian O'Brien
2004-01-27 21:59:11 UTC
Post by Nikki
That is not true. Many people suffer from above normal anxiety and there
are treatments.
Yeah sure, ok. I should drug my baby with anti-anxiety medication then?
*eyeroll*
JennP
2004-01-27 22:15:54 UTC
Post by Shena Delian O'Brien
Yeah sure, ok. I should drug my baby with anti-anxiety medication then?
*eyeroll*
<sigh> So now women who *need* anti-anxiety medication while pregnant are
"drugging" their babies? Try telling that to some of the women here to
suffer from severe anxiety attacks and depression.
--
JennP.

mom to Matthew 10/11/00
remove "no........spam" to reply
Shena Delian O'Brien
2004-01-27 22:23:27 UTC
Post by JennP
Post by Shena Delian O'Brien
Yeah sure, ok. I should drug my baby with anti-anxiety medication then?
*eyeroll*
<sigh> So now women who *need* anti-anxiety medication while pregnant are
"drugging" their babies? Try telling that to some of the women here to
suffer from severe anxiety attacks and depression.
Hey - if you truly need it, you can't help it, right? You do what you
have to. In that case, it's a lesser of two evils.

In mine, it's not. I don't need anti-anxiety meds.
Nikki
2004-01-27 22:35:58 UTC
Post by Shena Delian O'Brien
Post by Nikki
That is not true. Many people suffer from above normal anxiety and
there are treatments.
Yeah sure, ok. I should drug my baby with anti-anxiety medication
then? *eyeroll*
Well some meds are safe during pregnancy I think. I really have no idea. I
do know for a fact that there are therapists that treat anxiety without
medications and that was what I was thinking about. Those treatments are
quite successful for many people.

--
Nikki
Mama to Hunter (4) and Luke (2)
DeliciousTruffles
2004-01-27 22:01:55 UTC
Post by Nikki
What I'm having a problem with is that it seems to me you feel like woman
without previos loss or fertility issues don't 'get' that. That - the real
live person thing - is there for *everyone*. We all want *each one* of our
babies to survive and be healthy, regardless of previous loss or previous
children. We all take measures to protect *each* of our babies. The babies
sans previous loss, after 10 healthy children, after one healthy and one not
healthy baby, after infertility, after miscarriage, the first and last
baby....each baby/pregnancy is equally protected, none are expendable.
I just want a healthy baby and to give him the best start at life.
Yes. That is the point. *Everyone* wants that.
Well, to be fair, not everyone wants that. Sadly, I've seen women
completely abuse their bodies/babies while pregnant.

That was the hardest part of battling IF for me.
--
Brigitte aa #2145
edd #3 February 15, 2004

~ Harriet Martineau
Nikki
2004-01-27 22:46:04 UTC
Post by DeliciousTruffles
Well, to be fair, not everyone wants that. Sadly, I've seen women
completely abuse their bodies/babies while pregnant.
I know :-( I thought about that. Do you think the women that do that would
change their behavior if they had a miscarriage? I don't really think so
:-(

--
Nikki
Mama to Hunter (4) and Luke (2)
DeliciousTruffles
2004-01-28 00:59:02 UTC
Post by Nikki
Post by DeliciousTruffles
Well, to be fair, not everyone wants that. Sadly, I've seen women
completely abuse their bodies/babies while pregnant.
I know :-( I thought about that. Do you think the women that do that would
change their behavior if they had a miscarriage? I don't really think so
:-(
Neither do I. Too sad. :-(
--
Brigitte aa #2145
edd #3 February 15, 2004

~ Harriet Martineau
Leanne
2004-01-27 23:20:48 UTC
Post by Shena Delian O'Brien
I know for a fact that I'm possibly not enjoying this pregnancy like I
might, but there's little I can do about it. Ignorance is bliss, as they
say! You cannot unfortunately *unknow* something you now know. I now
know loss, I know fear because I'm not the most ideal candidate for
reproduction... I just want a healthy baby and to give him the best
start at life.
You have left your statement wide open. Like someone side before me, it's
most likely a personality thing.
My sister had an ectopic pregnancy awhile ago, this has never pushed her to
the point of 'driving her nuts' she's dealt with it, which is obviously
something you never did.

Everyone has known loss, all types of loss, and just because someone hasn't
lost a baby doesnt mean that they dont worry about things just as much as
you might, they probably just have a better perception of the situation.
People lose loved ones to car accidents, diseases, plane crashes, crossing
the road, etc etc.... but most people dont go of the deepend and rule all
these things out because they could lose someone.

My sister died in a car accident. I haven't stopped driving, nor have I
tried to stop someone else from drive... and most of all, I have never been
more careful about driving than I use to be, because in the end, if its my
turn to go, there is nothing I can do about it.
If someone is choosen to go, babies included, you cutting out of every
possible food/activity that *could* 'hurt' it wont be of any help to you.

That being said, keep going with what your doing.... if it makes you happy
and makes you feel like your babies safe then you should.
No one was throwing criticism your way, just pointing out that just because
you've lost a baby previously doesnt make you any more scared than anyone
else at losing a child. Of course it was a terrible thing for you to go
through, but you need to deal with that loss and move on so you can make
your child as happy as possible, and not ride on the grief of the previous.

just my .02c

Leanne
EDD: April 23rd 2004
Shena Delian O'Brien
2004-01-28 00:05:57 UTC
Post by Leanne
My sister had an ectopic pregnancy awhile ago, this has never pushed her to
the point of 'driving her nuts' she's dealt with it, which is obviously
something you never did.
It's snap judgements like *this* which "drive me nuts". :P Perhaps I am
miscommunicating. I don't mean: mental institution, ruining my life,
making me worry 24/7 kind of nuts. I guess I must have given the
impression that I dwell on this day and night and worry myself into a
frazzle, but I do not. I reason out what needs to be done to make myself
feel better, and I do it.

Your sister's ectopic pregnancy is *over*. My health conditions will
never be over; statistics show they will worsen as I age. I have to
maintain a level of constant vigilance over my health, which I believe I
have managed quite nicely while still retaining a quality of life I find
acceptable. Before this pregnancy, I had worked myself back up to the
ability to work full time (even getting accidental overtime) while
making strides to begin an active social life (my husband and I had
joined a social club which we were attending events at approx. 2-3 days
a week after work). That was something I could not have accomplished two
years ago.

Now with this pregnancy, I have moved back to working part time and
dropped the social club, because I am back to being too tired and
stressed after a day of work and need the rest and quiet.

When the pregnancy is over, I will not likely be able to maintain
working outside of the home AND caring for a newborn. I hope to get back
to a higher level of health & energy after this pregnancy, even move
farther forward in my battle. My husband and I would like more children,
each pregnancy being a similar "set back" to my health, and at similar
or increasing (as I age) risk. I will handle it, because children are
worth it. I will however handle it with all the care and due diligence
my (future) children will be worth.

Excel in all that you do.
Post by Leanne
If someone is choosen to go, babies included, you cutting out of every
possible food/activity that *could* 'hurt' it wont be of any help to you.
Who are you to judge that? Are you a medical health professional who can
judge the effects of certain foods on my personal health?

Some early studies have recently shown some promising data that giving a
mom an oxygen mask during early pregnancy can cut down miscarriage rates
by as much as 45% because most fetal demises occur as heart failure due
to lack of oxygen.

Medical science *does* make strides in treating illness and death. If we
ignore them because "it was just their time to go" then we lose a lot of
people.
Jill
2004-01-27 22:35:37 UTC
I can't make my diet perfect, so I don't worry about it, but do the best I
can. Actually, because I am a migraine sufferer, I watched my diet carefully
before pregnancy and a lot of the things that some people worry about, I
avoid anyway, such as artificial sweeteners and shellfish. (migraine
triggers!) Same reason I have always been conscious of the caffeine I
consume, and limit it- but I don't completely avoid it. I never drink coffee
anyway, I don't like it. Also, related to my migraines, I am very conscious
of preservatives and avoid things like MSG, and try to avoid artifical
colorings (which are in EVerything and impossible to avoid), but for example
I don't drink a lot of drinks with Yellow #5 in them- yellow drinks such Mt
Dew, Sun Drop, Mello Yello tend to give me headaches anyway and it might
just be because they tend to have a higher caffeine content. I also limit
sodium nitrite- in bacon, hot dogs, ham etc.

I am just in the habit of all this because of my migraines. Avoiding these
as much as possible really does make a difference. Same thing with cigarette
smoke, I get headaches, so I avoid like the plague.

Where I am really a vigilant worrywart is being around people who are
coughing and just getting over the flu, or who have been exposed to sickness
but don't have any symptoms themselves...that's where people think I am
being silly. I do avoid it all as much as possible.
Carol
2004-01-27 20:58:29 UTC
Post by Sophie
Oh please!! You are really out of your mind if you don't think every
pregnant woman worries. 1 out of 5 pregnancies ends in miscarriage. You
don't think that bothers every pregnant woman?
True. But until I miscarried I had absolutely no comprehension of how
devastating it can be and how anxious it can make one during subsequent
pregnancies. The only control one can exercise is being extra careful -- so
you can't help being that extra level of careful. It is easier, in my
opinion, to be a little more relaxed if you haven't had the experience of
miscarriage (or been close to someone who has) -- I was much more relaxed
during the pregnancy I lost. It's not that everyone doesn't worry -- it's
the level and nature of the worrying that is at issue.

Personally, I think that if skipping tuna or anything else gives a pregnant
woman peace of mind, then that is what she should do. It doesn't mean that
if someone else is pregnant and chooses to eat tuna, she is evil. It's a
choice about how careful or even overcareful you want to be.

When my mother had my sister and I in the '60s, nobody worried about any of
this stuff. But now that more information is out there, it is hard to make
a decision to ignore it: following these various 'cautions' allows us to
feel like we have at least some little tiny piece of control over the
outcome of the pregnancy process. And when doctors are also suggesting
certain things be avoided -- why not follow the advice? At the worst you
lose something you enjoy for a few months.

Carol
#1 EDD 8/30/04
Clisby
2004-01-27 20:16:58 UTC
Post by Shena Delian O'Brien
Post by Nikki
What do you imagine....that people go around thinking....'Oh, I can do
whatever I want because if I screw this one up I'll just have another?' Do
you see how rediculous that is when talking about a baby?!
No, I imagine that they have the luxury of not worrying so much, so they
don't spend countless hours researching every little possible thing that
could have contributed to miscarriage; I imagine they have the luxury of
assuming first that everything will go ok and only thinking of the
negative things when they actually HAPPEN; I imagine they have enough
hope and trust left to just listen to the doctor's little speech about
soft cheese and swordfish and think everything else is "ok" because for
the majority of people, that is the case.
Once you've already been in the minority however, you tend to pay
special attention to minority problems.
I had two miscarriages between my two healthy pregnancies. I did not
research every possible thing that could have contributed to them.
People have miscarriages. Heartbreaking when it happens, but it happens.

Maybe this is more due to different personalities. To me, giving up
all these foods is kind of like hanging crosses around your bed to ward
off vampires. Can't hurt, and if it makes you feel better, fine.

Clisby
Shena Delian O'Brien
2004-01-27 20:32:12 UTC
Post by Clisby
I had two miscarriages between my two healthy pregnancies. I did not
research every possible thing that could have contributed to them.
People have miscarriages. Heartbreaking when it happens, but it happens.
Did you have other extenuating factors which made you high risk to begin
with? I did. You had a healthy pregnancy first, right? I'm not saying
your miscarriages didn't hurt, or weren't traumatic for you, just that
your attitude about them is vastly different from mine.

I spent a lot of time, and effort, and heartbreak trying to get pregnant
in the first place. When I miscarried, it told me important things:

a) we probably didn't have to worry about male factor
b) my tubes were clear (at least one)
c) I was IN FACT ovulating

These were important things to know. Focusing on that as a success is
the only thing that kept me moving. But I could not forget that I had:

a) been drinking coffee like a fish
b) had taken percocet during that time for severe jaw pain (which I did
not know before had been a sign of pregnancy for me)
c) spent hours lying on a heating pad trying to alleviate menstrual/back
pain
d) drank 5oz of bailey's irish cream

I researched extensively things that contribute to miscarriage,
especially things women with my conditions could be prone to. We are
prone to chemical sensitivity, blood clotting disorders, and hormone
imbalances, among other things.

I have thyroid disease of indeterminate cause, and lived in a town where
there were high metal contents in the water. Mercury poisoning can cause
thyroid disease. Thyroid disease is often coupled with low progesterone.

I have PCOS which can cause blood clotting disorders and in which low
progesterone is also common.

I found these things out and as soon as I got pregnant again, I demanded
a progesterone level with my very first blood draw (which was as soon as
I could hoof it to my reproductive endocrinologist's office). I had to
*argue* the nurse into doing the test. When it came back very, very low,
she apologized all over herself and gave me supplements.

Thankfully, this pregnancy is succeeding so far. I'm not even going to
pee in a public toilet I think is unhealthy if it will endanger this child.
Jamie Clark
2004-01-27 22:19:32 UTC
"Shena Delian O'Brien" <***@darklock.com> wrote in message news:gVzRb.129343$***@attbi_s53...
<snip>
Post by Shena Delian O'Brien
[...]

And I would guess that your PCOS, Thyroid and progesterone issues came more
into play than caffeine, a heating pad and a few ounces of alcohol. I don't
know anything about the percocet, so won't comment on that. I know so many
women who repeatedly miscarried due to PCOS, and only went to term when they
went on, and stayed on Glucophage, Metformin, or Avandia.

I understand about the infertility road, really I do. I've had at least 8
documented pg losses. At the same time, I do also think that its a
personality thing. Some people are always going to look for something to
blame, so that they can try to fix or control it, and then maybe it won't
happen again. For me, should I ever get pregnant again, and go to term,
which I doubt will happen, I will be as healthy as I can be, but not obsess
over excess amounts of anything. I'd do my best to enjoy every single
moment of my pregnancy, same as I did with the past ones, since you never
know how long it's going to last. Control what you can, and let go of the
rest, and try not to make yourself crazy in the meantime -- that's my motto!

We all know people who did not take the best care of themselves and had
perfectly healthy babies, as well as people who took PERFECT care of
themselves and had babies with problems, genetic, physical, or otherwise.
That doesn't mean that anyone should cut risk factors if they want to. But
I agree that some people are way more prone to excess worry than others.
I'm not necessarily saying you are one of them.

Denise Anderson
2004-01-27 20:37:32 UTC
Post by Clisby
Post by Shena Delian O'Brien
Post by Nikki
[...]
I think it is a personality thing. I've had miscarriages. More than a
couple. I still don't feel the need to eliminate most of the stuff I eat
from my diet, especially stuff I love like seafood, peanut butter or red
wine. I'm already a picky enough eater, eliminating the stuff I like would
probably just end up making my husband want to kill me when we couldn't eat
anything for dinner.
Carol
2004-01-27 21:05:54 UTC
Post by Clisby
I had two miscarriages between my two healthy pregnancies. I did not
research every possible thing that could have contributed to them.
People have miscarriages. Heartbreaking when it happens, but it happens.
I think it makes a HUGE difference if you've had a healthy pregnancy before
you miscarry. You know you can do it. It feels very precarious when one
doesn't have that -- one doesn't know if one will EVER have a healthy child.
So if I hear from several doctors that I shouldn't drink alcohol, or eat
unpasteurized cheese, during this pregnancy -- I'm simply not going to do
it. It's not like there isn't some medical basis for avoiding these
things -- I don't think the same can be said about hanging garlic to ward
off vampires.

Carol
Sue
2004-01-27 23:02:59 UTC
You know Shena, my first baby was born with a rare liver disease that
resulted in a liver transplant. When I got pregnant with babies two and
three, you can bet your bottom dollar I worried. I worried that I had done
something, or didn't do something. I did all kinds of research, but the
bottom line was, I didn't do anything. People can do all the right things
and still end up having a baby with a disability or illness. The thing is,
you can worry yourself into oblivion and not eat certain things, but if you
are destined to have something wrong with the baby, there is probably not a
whole lot you can do about it. Sure, you can avoid tuna if you want and
unpastuerized cheese and so forth, if it makes you feel better and it may
lesson your chances of having something go wrong. But, for me and in the
research I have done, moderation is the key. :o)
--
Sue (mom to three girls)
Shena Delian O'Brien
2004-01-27 23:08:13 UTC
Post by Sue
bottom line was, I didn't do anything. People can do all the right things
and still end up having a baby with a disability or illness.
That doesn't mean there aren't preventable complications. For instance
if I know I'm prone to folic acid deficiency, if I don't take folic
acid, my baby could develop spina bifida.
Post by Sue
lesson your chances of having something go wrong. But, for me and in the
research I have done, moderation is the key. :o)
Moderation is often the key, just as a general rule with most things. ;)
I'm not really suffering for the loss of tuna, it's not like I crave it
the way I crave tiramisu mousse cake!
Jamie Clark
2004-01-27 23:52:22 UTC
Post by Shena Delian O'Brien
Post by Sue
bottom line was, I didn't do anything. People can do all the right things
and still end up having a baby with a disability or illness.
That doesn't mean there aren't preventable complications. For instance
if I know I'm prone to folic acid deficiency, if I don't take folic
acid, my baby could develop spina bifida.
And even if you take the highest recommended dosage for some one with extra
risk factors, your baby STILL could have spina bifida. You can only do the
best you can do. Nothing is guaranteed.

Shena Delian O'Brien
2004-01-28 00:07:42 UTC
Post by Jamie Clark
And even if you take the highest recommended dosage for some one with extra
risk factors, your baby STILL could have spina bifida. You can only do the
best you can do. Nothing is guaranteed.
If something goes wrong, then I know I did the best I could, right?

I'd live with that a *lot* better than knowing I screwed off and didn't
do anything because "oh well, it just happens".
Carol
2004-01-27 23:22:08 UTC
And to think I thought this would be a harmless, FUN thread . . .

There's room for all perspectives in the world, folks! There's no 'right'
way to do pregnancy, and no 'right' way to be during it -- relaxed, anxious,
paranoid, what-have-you.

Back to fantasizing about that glass of red wine . . . and planning to stock
up our wine cellar between now and the end of August -- if I can't drink it,
I can still shop for it. :-)

Carol
#1 EDD 8/30/04
New York Jen
2004-01-27 19:59:24 UTC
I've BEEN through years of infertility and would not wish it upon anyone in
the world.

That said, I did my share of research when I was pregnant last time and this
time again (in case things had changed) and made my decisions based on FACTS
and RESEARCH, not fear.
Shena Delian O'Brien
2004-01-27 20:07:03 UTC
Post by New York Jen
That said, I did my share of research when I was pregnant last time and this
time again (in case things had changed) and made my decisions based on FACTS
and RESEARCH, not fear.
Well hullo, I guess it's not a fact that tuna can contain mercury, or
that mercury is a heavy metal which you must remove with chelation (a
painful process which leaves you deficient in many GOOD minerals), and
can cause many defects not to mention mental illness...??

I don't want mercury in MY BODY, let alone my child's.

Shrimp is a smaller risk, but I do know many people who have gotten ill
from eating shrimp and choose not to risk it. Types of foods and drinks
are really very minor things to give up considering what you're protecting.
New York Jen
2004-01-27 20:13:59 UTC
Post by Shena Delian O'Brien
Post by New York Jen
That said, I did my share of research when I was pregnant last time and this
time again (in case things had changed) and made my decisions based on FACTS
and RESEARCH, not fear.
Well hullo, I guess it's not a fact that tuna can contain mercury, or
that mercury is a heavy metal which you must remove with chelation (a
painful process which leaves you deficient in many GOOD minerals), and
can cause many defects not to mention mental illness...??
I don't want mercury in MY BODY, let alone my child's.
It IS a fact that tuna contains mercury. It's also a fact that you'd have
to eat a LOT of it to make a difference in YOUR body OR your child's body.
If you do your research, you'd see that a can (or two) of tuna a week is
TOTALLY safe. Not trying to talk you into eating tuna, just saying that you
could be enjoying some foods that you're avoiding for no good reason.

Your attitude about people who have not gone through infertility or
miscarriage pretty much stinks, I have to say. You think people who have an
easy time getting pregnant don't worry about miscarrying? Not sure what
kind of sheltered world you're in, but many of my friends have gone through
infertility and many have not, and they are equally concerned and cautious
about their pregnancies. They all want healthy babies and take nothing for
granted. I'm simply saying that if you do reserach, there are no pregnancy
books that warn against "bottom feeding" shrimp. Never heard of anyone
getting ill from eating clean shrimp either, and I live on the beach near
dozens of seafood restaurants.

Do you eat fast food? Any processed food? Non-organic produce?

- Jen
Carol
2004-01-27 19:50:32 UTC
Post by Clisby
Me, too. I didn't give up anything, except for Indian food (and that
was just because I developed an aversion to it - had nothing to do with
the food itself.) Well, I drank wine a lot less often - but I didn't
give it up totally.
Good grief, this is pregnancy, not a trip to a monastery.
Clisby
True. On the other hand, when you're about to turn 40 and still working on
your first healthy child, you tend to be more cautious. We worked too hard
to get here for me to have that glass of wine I crave -- in case it really
could have an adverse effect. Why take the chance?

Carol (who can't stand tuna in the first place, so that is no sacrifice!)
#1 EDD 8/30/04
Clisby
#1 EDD 8/30/04
I was 42 when I had my first child - no, it didn't automatically make me
more cautious.

Clisbu
Carol
2004-01-27 21:07:37 UTC
Post by Clisby
I was 42 when I had my first child - no, it didn't automatically make me
more cautious.
Oh, enough -- bully for you, you're a better woman than those of us who
worry! Happy now?

Back to my regularly scheduled pregnancy . . .

Carol
Clisby
2004-01-27 22:10:20 UTC
Post by Carol
Post by Clisby
I was 42 when I had my first child - no, it didn't automatically make me
more cautious.
Oh, enough -- bully for you, you're a better woman than those of us who
worry! Happy now?
Happy to correct your misconception, yes.

Clisby
Shelly
2004-01-27 19:51:49 UTC
Post by Clisby
Me, too. I didn't give up anything, except for Indian food (and that
was just because I developed an aversion to it - had nothing to do with
the food itself.) Well, I drank wine a lot less often - but I didn't
give it up totally.
Good grief, this is pregnancy, not a trip to a monastery.
Clisby
I had the same exact aversion for the first 24 weeks or so, Clisby! Made DH
really sad, because I couldn't even set foot in our favorite restaurant
without feeling sick.

As for giving things up... gosh, I gave up a lot in the first trimester ( no
caffeine, no soft cheese, no raw sushi, no alcohol, little sugar, etc.) but
quite a bit of that has snuck back into my diet. ;) I am still avoiding
sushi and alcohol for the most part (although I have had half a glass of
wine or a few sips of beer on 3 or 4 occasions - so yummy!).

-Michelle
edd 3/14/04
Clisby
2004-01-27 20:10:07 UTC
Post by Shelly
Post by Clisby
Me, too. I didn't give up anything, except for Indian food (and that
was just because I developed an aversion to it - had nothing to do with
the food itself.) Well, I drank wine a lot less often - but I didn't
give it up totally.
Good grief, this is pregnancy, not a trip to a monastery.
Clisby
I had the same exact aversion for the first 24 weeks or so, Clisby! Made DH
really sad, because I couldn't even set foot in our favorite restaurant
without feeling sick.
I think it was the strong smell of the food that caused the aversion.
It wasn't the spiciness, because I craved Korean food and anything with
jalapenos throughout both my pregnancies.

Clisby
Sophie
2004-01-27 19:58:47 UTC
Hehe :)
Jill
2004-01-27 20:24:28 UTC
I don't miss anything. Food doesn't taste as good to me. But I haven't had
to change my diet, because I never ate anything that you can't during
pregnancy- I am not a big fish eater so I don't have to worry about mercury
levels etc. I only eat Sushi that doesn't contain the raw stuff. I never eat
sashimi. (I am not sure about the orange fish roe that sushi is often rolled
in, but then again I haven't been craving California rolls during preg. so
not eating them).

I don't drink often, but I guess I DO miss a good frozen mixed drink. The
good thing about that is that you can just order them without the alcohol in
most cases and they taste just as good. I haven't had any alcohol since
being pregnant. I don't drink wine, if I did, I would feel fine to have one
glass of wine with a meal a couple of times during pregnancy, but I don't
drink wine so....I definitely don't want to drink the alcohols in mixed
drinks, rum, vodka, etc.

What I REALLY really miss, is the ability to take medications for my
headaches! I soooooo miss being able to take a Maxalt or even reach for the
ibuprofen, when I have a headache. There have been days when I really
lamented not being able to give myself an Imitrex injection, because I
realize that the headache I suffer with for 2 days would go away in 15
minutes if I could JUST give myself the shot. That's bad....but true! None
of my effective headache meds can be used during pregnancy. If I wasn't
having headaches I obviously wouldn't miss them, but oh boy, do I miss them.
I haven't so much as taken one ibuprofen since learning I was pregnant. But
it is so hard to live with headaches.
Sophie
2004-01-27 20:32:44 UTC
Post by Jill
What I REALLY really miss, is the ability to take medications for my
headaches! I soooooo miss being able to take a Maxalt or even reach for the
ibuprofen, when I have a headache. There have been days when I really
lamented not being able to give myself an Imitrex injection, because I
realize that the headache I suffer with for 2 days would go away in 15
minutes if I could JUST give myself the shot. That's bad....but true! None
of my effective headache meds can be used during pregnancy. If I wasn't
having headaches I obviously wouldn't miss them, but oh boy, do I miss them.
I haven't so much as taken one ibuprofen since learning I was pregnant. But
it is so hard to live with headaches.
Now *that* I can understand. I know just with a cold or headache I want to
take something that will really work. IMO if something is safe during
pregnancy (like Tylenol) it's really not effective for me.
Jamie Clark
2004-01-27 22:21:58 UTC
I don't know what kind of headaches you get, but when I get a headache, I
love to lay in a dark quiet room with a icy cold wash cloth over my
forehead. If you like that too, then try Migraine Ice pads. They are
chemical ice pads, and the stick on your head so you can move around or lay
on your side and they don't fall off. And they stay cold for a few hours.
They are heaven, and I find that they really help make my headaches bearable
or even go away.

Kim
2004-02-27 21:26:42 UTC
In article <***@mindspring.com>, ***@mindspring.com
says...
Post by Clisby
Post by Sophie
Post by New York Jen
I think people are going a little overboard with eliminating stuff...
You said it! I've been reading this thread with total fascination and
disbelief - lol.
Me, too. I didn't give up anything, except for Indian food (and that
was just because I developed an aversion to it - had nothing to do with
the food itself.)
Actually, Indian food is very healthy - but I have an aversion to it
right now too (at 12 wks). I used to eat it several times a month. I
wonder if it is because of the spices.

-kim
Sue
2004-01-27 19:44:29 UTC
Post by Sophie
Post by New York Jen
I think people are going a little overboard with eliminating stuff...
You said it! I've been reading this thread with total fascination and
disbelief - lol.
I know, it's incredible. I didn't give up anything except for alcohol. And
that is even okay in moderation, but I wasn't comfortable with it.
--
Sue (mom to three girls)
Sophie
2004-01-27 20:01:13 UTC
Post by Sue
Post by Sophie
Post by New York Jen
I think people are going a little overboard with eliminating stuff...
You said it! I've been reading this thread with total fascination and
disbelief - lol.
I know, it's incredible. I didn't give up anything except for alcohol. And
that is even okay in moderation, but I wasn't comfortable with it.
--
Sue (mom to three girls)
I really think people have gone overboard, and it's gotten worse with each
of *my* pregnancies, what I see other women do to themselves. Can they not
have ONE of whatever they want? Does it have to be the WHOLE
box/container/bottle or NONE? Makes no sense to me either.
Nan
2004-01-27 23:47:27 UTC
Post by Sophie
I really think people have gone overboard, and it's gotten worse with each
of *my* pregnancies, what I see other women do to themselves. Can they not
have ONE of whatever they want? Does it have to be the WHOLE
box/container/bottle or NONE? Makes no sense to me either.
For New years eve, dh brought home a bottle of Merlot and a bottle of
redhot schnapps. I had a glass of wine with my cheese and crackers
and a nice long shot of schnapps later in the evening.
Dh had the rest.... and a headache the next day ;-)

Nan
JennP
2004-01-27 21:23:44 UTC
Post by Sophie
You said it! I've been reading this thread with total fascination and
disbelief - lol.
Same here. The only thing I will avoid in my next pregnancy though is
peanuts because my son has a confirmed allergy. I ate *gobs* of it when
pregnant and nursing and even made a pb sandwich during labor!
--
JennP.

mom to Matthew 10/11/00
remove "no........spam" to reply
Sophie
2004-01-27 21:31:29 UTC
Post by JennP
Post by Sophie
You said it! I've been reading this thread with total fascination and
disbelief - lol.
Same here. The only thing I will avoid in my next pregnancy though is
peanuts because my son has a confirmed allergy. I ate *gobs* of it when
pregnant and nursing and even made a pb sandwich during labor!
--
JennP.
mom to Matthew 10/11/00
remove "no........spam" to reply
Right, if you know you have an allergy, that's one thing.
Each of my kids should be dead I suppose.
I had PB&J like it was going out of style with C.
I had hot dogs almost every day for weeks on end with P.
L was grown on Skittles.
<shrug>
JennP
2004-01-27 22:20:47 UTC
Post by Sophie
Right, if you know you have an allergy, that's one thing.
The thing is, there are no *food* allergies in me or dh, but I'm allergic to
everything else under the sun. My mother has anaphylactic food allergies so
I suppose that's where it could have come from.
Post by Sophie
Each of my kids should be dead I suppose.
I had PB&J like it was going out of style with C.
I really, really miss pb. I can't even have it in the house because he's had
contact reactions to it. :(
Post by Sophie
I had hot dogs almost every day for weeks on end with P.
L was grown on Skittles.
<shrug>
Skittles! <covering the monitor since that is M's *favorite* thing under the
sun right now! ;)>
--
JennP.

mom to Matthew 10/11/00
remove "no........spam" to reply
Ericka Kammerer
2004-01-27 23:09:57 UTC
Post by JennP
The thing is, there are no *food* allergies in me or dh, but I'm allergic to
everything else under the sun. My mother has anaphylactic food allergies so
I suppose that's where it could have come from.
You don't have to have food allergies yourself (or even
in the family) for your child to inherit them. All you inherit
is an immune system that is prone to wigging out at inappropriate
times (a tendency toward atopic diseases). From there on out,
it's largely environmental factors that influence what sorts
of atopic diseases you end up with. So, anyone with *any*
serious atopic diseases in the family may wish to consider
the research on peanuts during pregnancy or breastfeeding
and make their own decision about where they think the
risk/benefit tradeoff lies.

Best wishes,
Ericka
Shena Delian O'Brien
2004-01-27 19:39:01 UTC
Post by New York Jen
Why no shrimp?????
Bottom feeders! You never know what's going to be in them if they aren't
cleaned properly.
alissa
2004-01-27 22:36:54 UTC
Soft serve icecream (ie thick shakes) and it's only that I can't that I
want, I rarely have them. I do like the odd sundae.....
Alissa
#1 EDD 8/30/04
Shena Delian O'Brien
2004-01-27 22:49:27 UTC
Post by alissa
Soft serve icecream (ie thick shakes) and it's only that I can't that I
want, I rarely have them. I do like the odd sundae.....
Why can't you have ice cream? I was so crazy for soft serve this
pregnancy that my DH went out and bought me an Arctic Twister so we
could have it at home.
melizabeth
2004-01-28 00:10:50 UTC
Unpasteurized cheeses, wine, sushi...