Indian-western names
Mom2B
2003-07-22 15:59:54 UTC
Both my husband and I are Indian and live in the UK. I'd like to give my
baby an Indian name that is easy to pronounce in English. Any suggestions?
We don't know if it's a boy or girl yet so suggestions for both welcome.

Any recommended Indian baby name websites? (I've done a general search so
only send me sites that you recommend).

Anika
EDD 11th January 2004
Buzzy Bee
2003-07-22 17:35:06 UTC
On Tue, 22 Jul 2003 16:59:54 +0100, "Mom2B" <***@somewhere.com>
wrote:
but then again I might just have mucked up the snipping as usual!
Post by Mom2B
Both my husband and I are Indian and live in the UK. I'd like to give my
baby an Indian name that is easy to pronounce in English. Any suggestions?
We don't know if it's a boy or girl yet so suggestions for both welcome.
Depending on where in the UK you are, I wouldn't think it was a bit
issue. I work with a lot of Indian people and have never found their
names difficult to pronounce, occasionally I'll get it wrong and have
to be corrected, but its pretty rare. An Indian name is a lot more
acceptable than our (100% native UK) choice!

Megan
--
Seoras David Montgomery, 7 May 2003, 17 hours: sunrise to sunset (homebirth)
Seoras' story: http://seoras.farr-montgomery.com

To e-mail use: megan at farr-montgomery dot com
Jacqui
2003-07-22 19:24:06 UTC
Buzzy Bee wibbled
Post by Buzzy Bee
Post by Mom2B
Both my husband and I are Indian and live in the UK. I'd like to
give my baby an Indian name that is easy to pronounce in English.
Any suggestions? We don't know if it's a boy or girl yet so
suggestions for both welcome.
Depending on where in the UK you are, I wouldn't think it was a
bit issue. I work with a lot of Indian people and have never
found their names difficult to pronounce, occasionally I'll get it
wrong and have to be corrected, but its pretty rare.
Ditto, I went to university with a very mixed bunch of people from all
sorts of areas, and can't say I ever had trouble with any Indian names
(Indonesian, now that's a different story...). FWIW names I like
include: Simi, Ikram, Sanjay, Deepak, Kulvinder, Sushila, Meera.

Jac
Laurie
2003-07-23 03:51:50 UTC
Jacqui wrote in message ...
Post by Jacqui
Buzzy Bee wibbled
Post by Buzzy Bee
Post by Mom2B
Both my husband and I are Indian and live in the UK. I'd like to
give my baby an Indian name that is easy to pronounce in English.
Any suggestions? We don't know if it's a boy or girl yet so
suggestions for both welcome.
Depending on where in the UK you are, I wouldn't think it was a
bit issue. I work with a lot of Indian people and have never
found their names difficult to pronounce, occasionally I'll get it
wrong and have to be corrected, but its pretty rare.
Ditto, I went to university with a very mixed bunch of people from all
sorts of areas, and can't say I ever had trouble with any Indian names
(Indonesian, now that's a different story...). FWIW names I like
include: Simi, Ikram, Sanjay, Deepak, Kulvinder, Sushila, Meera.
Jac
I'm sorry, I somehow totally missed the "western" part of your post and
suggested an American Indian name. Sorry!!!

laurie
mommy to Jessica, 27 months
and Christopher, 14 weeks

*This email address is now valid*
Clisby Williams
2003-07-22 06:14:24 UTC
Post by Mom2B
Both my husband and I are Indian and live in the UK. I'd like to give my
baby an Indian name that is easy to pronounce in English. Any suggestions?
We don't know if it's a boy or girl yet so suggestions for both welcome.
Any recommended Indian baby name websites? (I've done a general search so
only send me sites that you recommend).
Anika
EDD 11th January 2004
I like the name Indra - my husband had a colleague whose wife was named
that.

Clisby
Cheryl S.
2003-07-22 18:17:55 UTC
Post by Mom2B
Both my husband and I are Indian and live in the UK. I'd
like to give my baby an Indian name that is easy to pronounce
in English. Any suggestions? We don't know if it's a boy or girl
yet so suggestions for both welcome.
Any recommended Indian baby name websites? (I've done a
general search so only send me sites that you recommend).
My FIL is from India so I have looked at some Indian names too. We live
in the US, so I was also looking for names that are easy to pronounce
and spell in English. Some that I liked for a boy have been: Jivan,
Rajan, and Deven. These have been in generic baby name books. I
haven't found any websites that I found helpful so I will also be
reading your other replies with interest. I have a book on hold at the
library that will hopefully be returned soon. It's called _Hindu Baby
Names: 2100 Beautiful Names For Your Baby_, by Ashok Kaushik; maybe you
can find that somewhere. I think as long as you stick to two-syllable
names, most Indian names are fairly straightforward in English. They
will probably have to be spelled for people (what name doesn't these
days?), but reading them generally seems not to be a problem.
--
Cheryl S.
Mom to Julie, 2 yr., 3 mo.

Cleaning the house while your children are small is like
shoveling the sidewalk while it's still snowing.
Clisby Williams
2003-07-22 06:44:56 UTC
Post by Cheryl S.
Post by Mom2B
[...]
Shoot, I forgot about Ashok. A little boy in my daugher's preschool
was named that, and
his sister was Anu.

Clisby
Iuil
2003-07-22 19:20:41 UTC
Post by Mom2B
Both my husband and I are Indian and live in the UK. I'd like to give my
baby an Indian name that is easy to pronounce in English. Any suggestions?
We don't know if it's a boy or girl yet so suggestions for both welcome.
An ex-colleague of mine was called Priya (she had an Indian Dad and Irish
Mum). IIRC one of her sisters was called Indira.

Jean

--
"And he said:
Your children are not your children. They are the sons and daughters of
Life's longing for itself. They come through you but not from you, and
though they are with you, yet they belong not to you." Khalil Gibran

Return address is unread. Replies to <firstnamelastname> @eircom.net.
Karen
2003-07-23 21:00:24 UTC
Post by Iuil
An ex-colleague of mine was called Priya (she had an Indian Dad and Irish
Jean
That's what I was about to suggest. It's hands down my favorite Indian girls
name.
Another I like is Nalini. I did know a little boy once named Shan-sounds just
like Sean.
I also went to high school with a boy named Vic. His full name was much longer
but Vic was certainly
simple enough to spell and pronounce:-) There is a very large Indian population
in central NJ and most people
are pretty familiar with Indian names and their pronounciation.

K-
==Daye==
2003-07-22 21:54:10 UTC
Post by Mom2B
Both my husband and I are Indian and live in the UK. I'd like to give my
baby an Indian name that is easy to pronounce in English. Any suggestions?
I personally love the name Jaya.

My DD has an Indian name, but we pronounce it Jay Anne.

--
==Daye==
Momma to Jayan
#2 EDD 11 Jan 2004
E-mail: brendana AT labyrinth DOT net DOT au
Shelly
2003-07-22 23:28:18 UTC
Post by Mom2B
Both my husband and I are Indian and live in the UK. I'd like to give my
baby an Indian name that is easy to pronounce in English. Any suggestions?
We don't know if it's a boy or girl yet so suggestions for both welcome.
Any recommended Indian baby name websites? (I've done a general search so
only send me sites that you recommend).
Anika
EDD 11th January 2004
I like Vijay for a boy (he could always go by Jay if he wanted to anglicize
his name), and Amba for a girl. I think they are both quite natural sounding
and easy to pronounce in English.

Good luck!
Michelle
Shelly
2003-07-23 01:48:55 UTC
For a girl I like Pria boy's i dunno.
--
Shelly
Mommy to Zachariah
Michelle
JoFromOz
2003-07-23 12:55:42 UTC
I really like Pryantha :)

Jo RM
Phoebe & Allyson
2003-07-23 23:06:49 UTC
THe only one that comes immediately to mind is Cheyenne (Shy-anne or
Shy-enne, but I've also heard it pronounced Chai-anne)
I think she meant India-Indian, not Native American?

Phoebe :)
Nina
2003-07-24 01:48:01 UTC
I like
Bina
From a website I found, I selected:

Asha
Anjali
Chhaya
Nayana
Nalini
Let me see, I went to college with a bunch of Indian women. I found
Naheed
Bina
Sarbani
Sharmila
Ruma
Suparni
Malini (I like this one)
Rubab
Priyadharshi
Vijaya
Reehana
Shazia (I really like this one!)
HTH :)
---
--- Vicki in Indiana
Married my dear husband Joshua on May 21, 1995.
Ima shel DS, born 11/16/99 and breastfed for 22 months;
and Ima shel DD, still nursing. Born at home, 05/19/02.
http://www.geocities.com/vyxter/
An ounce of mother is worth a pound of clergy. -Spanish proverb
Names I like: Adele, Amelia, Chloe, Corinne, Lionel, Orlando, Theodore,
Timothy.
Catherine C.
2003-07-24 05:56:07 UTC
Post by Mom2B
Both my husband and I are Indian and live in the UK. I'd like to give my
baby an Indian name that is easy to pronounce in English. Any suggestions?
We don't know if it's a boy or girl yet so suggestions for both welcome.
Any recommended Indian baby name websites? (I've done a general search so
only send me sites that you recommend).
Anika
EDD 11th January 2004
I *love* Anjali...I used to work with a Scottish woman whose husband was
Indian and they named their daughter Anjali...:-)

Catherine C.
grandmother to Brendan--Sept. 22, 2002
Linz
2003-07-24 14:47:04 UTC
Post by Mom2B
Both my husband and I are Indian and live in the UK. I'd like to give my
baby an Indian name that is easy to pronounce in English. Any suggestions?
We don't know if it's a boy or girl yet so suggestions for both welcome.
Nearly every Indian name I can think of is easy to pronounce in English
because most of them are virtually phonetic.

Do associations matter - it seems to me that some names are common in Muslim
families, others in Hindu, others in Sikh, for example?
Parenting Nation
2014-02-19 10:16:29 UTC
This post is old but the requirement for many parents are still similar in terms of searching the baby names or we can say Indian Baby Names, for running years and the upcoming years there are many modern and trending baby names which can be suitable to your baby from one of our resource, http://www.parentingnation.in/Indianbabynames Here parents can find delightful Indian Baby Names, Hindu Baby Names, Muslim Baby Names, Christian Baby Names, Sikh Baby names by categories and with meanings.